Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis during the application period. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications early. Please review the Application Checklist for detailed instructions regarding the application.
In order to be considered for the anesthesiologist assistant program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree must be from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or Canada, including required prerequisite coursework. No exceptions.
- A completed application form. You must complete the online application; a paper application will not be accepted for this program.
- Prerequisite coursework, completed within seven years of the application date at a regionally accredited institution in the United States or Canada.
- 6 semester credits or 9 quarter hours of general chemistry (labs required)
- 6 semester credits or 9 quarter hours of anatomy and physiology
- 3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours of organic chemistry (200 level - labs required)*It is preferred that an applicant have 6 semester hours or 9 quarter hours of organic chemistry
- 3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours of biochemistry (300 level - labs preferred)
- 6 semester credits or 9 quarter hours of general physics (200 level - labs required)
- 3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours of calculus
- 3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours of statistics (math or statistics dept)
- Substitutions are NOT permitted
- Survey courses or courses for non-science majors are NOT acceptable
- Advanced placement credits for prerequisite coursework that appear in official transcripts may be considered based on courses, scores, and student's overall undergraduate performance.
- Physician Assistants and others may be given credit for human physiology taken on-ground at the graduate level. Others may qualify for credit if they have taken a graduate level human physiology course that had acceptable course content. All courses must have been taken within seven years of the application submission.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) OR Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score taken within five years prior to application. Please have your GRE Scores sent directly to Quinnipiac, institution code 3712. You can report your MCAT score on the online application by providing your verification code.
- GRE or MCAT scores will not be used as a substitute for prerequisite coursework.
- Minimum of two letters of recommendation - two letters from persons familiar with the applicant's prior academic performance, academic potential, work habits, and suitability for graduate study leading to a career in clinical practice. An optional letter may be included attesting to the candidate's character.
- A one-page essay describing your experience with the anesthesia profession and why you think anesthesia is an appropriate career path
- The applicant must choose an article from the current anesthesia literature and submit a written summary of the article (acceptable journals are: Anesthesiology, Anesthesia and Analgesia, Journal of Clinical Anesthesia)
- A signed disclaimer regarding CT State Law
- An interview will be requested by the admissions committee, on-site at Quinnipiac University, North Haven, Connecticut
- A criminal background check is required as part of the admissions process. Please contact the program office by email for additional details.
Applicants with disabilities
In accordance with policies of Quinnipiac University, the program does not discriminate against any individual because of disability. However, applicants must meet the requirements for technical standards.
All application documents should be sent directly to the assistant director of operations.
Assistant director of operations, anesthesiologist assistant program
275 Mount Carmel Avenue, NH-MED
Hamden, CT 06518