Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
The Graduate PLUS loan is a federal loan available to graduate and professional students.
- A complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Students must have utilized their annual Federal Direct Stafford Loan maximum before consideration into this program
- The approval is based on credit criteria
- Loan limit - the maximum loan limit is the cost of education minus other aid received
- Interest - the current interest rate is fixed at 6.84 percent for loans disbursed between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016
- Fees - Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are subject to fees of 4.292 percent.
- Loan fees are deducted from loan proceeds prior to the disbursement of funds and borrowers are responsible for repayment of all such fees.
- Repayment - repayment on Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans begins after the second disbursement; however, students enrolled at least half-time are eligible for deferment.
- Students may elect to receive a six-month grace period after the student graduates, drops below half-time status, or withdraws.
How to Apply
To begin the online application process for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, you must complete the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Data Form. Please read the instructions at the top of the form before entering the data. Remember to select the loan period for the semester(s) which you wish to receive the requested loan amount.