Can I get the library's databases from home?
Yes. There are three ways to validate yourself as a Quinnipiac user.
The first, and preferred method for most users is to go to Citrix. This server provides access to all web resources in addition to programs such as Photoshop and Acrobat.
Please use Internet Explorer. Citrix will not work in FireFox.
- Go to https://citrix.quinnipiac.edu from anywhere.
- Use the login and password that you would use for Quinnipiac email or Blackboard.
- Once you are in, open the Library Applications folder.
- Click on the ABL Library databases icon.
- The first time you use this, you may be required to load a small program to make it work. Once you are in, all databases will be available.
If you are using a Mac, you must go through the following additional steps the first time you use Citrix:
- Download a Citrix client for Mac OS X to download the appropriate client (Intel or PowerPC).
- Once you install, please visit: https://citrix.quinnipiac.edu
- Click before logging in, click 'Advanced Options".
- Make sure Native Client is selected under 'Remote Client Type'.
The second method is to go to WebVPN. You will see a message regarding a Security Certificate.
- Go to https://quvpn.quinnipiac.edu/webvpn.html.
- Validate yourself by typing in the login and password that you would use to access your Quinnipiac email.
- Once you are validated, you will be taken to a screen containing the library's databases, and all of them will be accessible without further verification.
C. Setting up a dial up connection
The final way is suggested if your computer has a working dial-up modem and you live close enough to Quinnipiac that you can call the University without entering an area code.
Legacy information about remote dial-up access
Quinnipiac University provides dial-up access to the network for those users off campus who do not have access to broadband. QU Dial-up is a secure way to connect to the QU network, but dial-up does not allow you to connect to all aspects of the network.
A dial-up network must be installed on your machine. Contact the Computer Help Desk for more information. The remote dial-up access number is 203-927-4820. (Long distance charges may apply.)
Please note that dial-up access is prone to weather and phone line conditions. Should your initial connection fail, do not make numerous attempts in a short period of time, but wait about 10 minutes between attempts.
Further questions about this can be answered by the Computer Help Desk at 203-582-4357 or by submitting a Help Desk request form.
Where in the library can I preview VHS and DVD movies?
Printing at the library
When you hit file/print, a popup will appear asking for your name. This is the login name that you use to access email and Blackboard. Then go to the printer and slide your card in the reader - barcode at the bottom and facing you. You will highlight the print job and press print.
I forgot my QCard. Can I still print at the Bernhard Library?
All library services require you to have your ID card. The only way to print without it is to buy a guest card for $1 at the vending machine under the rotunda stairway, and use the number as a printing ID. NOTE: Guest cards only work on the first floor.
If I bring my laptop to the library, can I print using the library's printers?
Yes. Complete instructions are available at the Media Center across from the Reference Desk. STAR students working in the Media Center can help you set this up.
How can I get into my Blackboard account?
- Go to: http://blackboard.quinnipiac.edu . You will see a "Welcome" banner with a picture of Quinnipiac University.
- Click on the "Login" button.
- Enter your Quinnipiac University email ID (e.g, "jsjones", NOT the full email address, with NO apostrophes or blanks but periods are OK) as your "USERNAME:" and your Email password (there is no longer a separate password for Blackboard) and click on the Login button.
If you are having a problem logging in, make certain that "Caps Lock" is not on. Passwords are case-sensitive but your "USERNAME" is not.
If you still have a problem logging in, call the Help Desk at 582-HELP.
If there are any lingering problems with Blackboard, contact Frank Villa (203-582-8926) or Richard Beck (203-582-8434) for assistance.
Which computers have Word, Excel and the other Microsoft programs?
I've got a citation to a journal article. How do I know if I can get that journal in this library?
What are the hours for the Bernhard Library?
How do I know if the library owns a particular book?
Can I use the library's Video Collection?
If you are a currently enrolled student, faculty or staff member you may check out two films (video or DVD) for 72 hours and take them out of the library. Public video players are located on study carrels and in meeting rooms on both floors. Faculty members may book films for classroom use or put them on reserve for students to view in the library. The library owns more than 3000 VHS titles and 1,000 DVDs. They are fully described in the Video and CD section of QCat. You may search them by title or subject.
The book I want is checked out. Can it be held for me when it comes back?
How can I use the library's collection of electronic books?
How can I use the library's research collection about the Great Hunger?
View more information about the collection and about the Great Hunger.