Opportunities in Sports Journalism
The global audience for sports grows each year, and that means opportunities abound for people who look to transform their passion for the games into rewarding careers. From fantasy sports advice and profiles to game coverage and analysis, sportswriters create the stories that add information, meaning and depth to the immediacy of the action unfolding in front of billions of fans.
Quinnipiac University is ready to channel that passion and growth into professional journalistic practice through its MS in sports journalism - online writing program. Among the first of its kind offered in the United States, the MS in sports journalism prepares students to go beyond the box score to write detailed accounts of games, athletes, and the culture of sports.
Previous journalism experience is not required.
Nestled amid the burgeoning sports media cluster of magazines, websites, cable networks and professional league headquarters along the I-95 corridor on the eastern seaboard, Quinnipiac is uniquely positioned to facilitate career-launching opportunities. It's not only the location in proximity to ESPN, NBC Sports and the New York epicenter of sports media, but our alumni as well, who stand ready to help with opportunities and mentoring.
Our geographic standing and academic reputation for excellence provides access to professional sports journalists working at the highest levels of practice who serve as instructors.
Students who successfully complete the writing track are prepared to pursue abundant career opportunities, including:
- sportswriter and editor for sports websites, magazines and apps
- long-form writer of sports narratives
- writer for sports documentary films
- columnist, blogger and advocacy sports journalist sports content specialist and editor for mutlimedia sports sites and apps
The fully online writing track prepares students to use reason, analysis and advanced writing techniques to formulate engaging stories on the games, athletes, and the cultural and social forces that surround the sports throughout the world. It focuses on composing long-form narratives that will inform, enlighten and surprise even the most well-informed reader with useful information on topics that require an investment of thought, time and creative vitality to reveal.
The writing track focuses on composing distinct narratives that will inform, enlighten and surprise even the most well-informed reader with useful information on topics that require an investment of thought, time and creative vitality to reveal.
In this program, students will learn to:
- Understand professional sports journalistic practices, ethical standards and technologies related to the field and be able to apply reason and creativity to write stories that are meaningful to readers who already know the score.
- Analyze information based on journalistic practices of research, interviews and observation.
- Evaluate information in determining the story's narrative structure and reach via social media and other applications.
- Create a story that informs, enlightens, entertains and is useful to the reader or audience within the structure of professional sports journalism.
Start Dates: Fall (late August), Spring (late January)